Showing all 1 result
Oxycodone is a generic opioid medication for treating acute to severe pain conditions. It is an oral medication available in immediate release and controlled release dosage formulations. The pain relief starts within 15 minutes of oxycodone intake and usually lasts for up to 4-6 hours for immediate-release oxycodone. You can also buy oxycodone online in combination with acetaminophen and aspirin.
Germans first discovered oxycodone from thebaine in the year 1916. Now it comes as both generic and brand medications. It is one of the most prescribed medicines in the United States, with nearly 10 million prescriptions per year.
Licit Uses of Oxycodone :
Oxycodone is helpful in the treatment of mild to severe acute or chronic pain. It is advisable to use oxycodone when non-opioid, combinational opioids, or other opioid medicines are not sufficient to provide required analgesic effects. Oxycodone may also improve the quality of life in some pain conditions. However, it is not clear whether or not it improves the quality of life in chronic pain conditions.
The medicine also comes as a controlled release tablet for administration once every 12 hours. A study conducted in July 1996 indicates that the analgesic effects of the medication last for about 10-12 hours. A 2006 review states that controlled-release oxycodone is comparable morphine in the management of severe cancer pain with fewer side effects. The study concludes that controlled-release oxycodone is an alternative to morphine as a first-line treatment option for cancer pain.
In America, the FDA approved extended-release oxycodone for use in children as young as 11 years old for use in the relief of cancer pain, pain due to major surgery, or trauma pain, in children who have been receiving opioids and can tolerate at least 20 mg/ day of oxycodone. It is an alternative to the only extended-release opioid analgesic for children, Duragesic (fentanyl).
Oxycodone, like all other opioids, has a potential for abuse. Illicit users ingest oxycodone for several reasons.
Some abusers use oxycodone to control withdrawal symptoms of other substances such as heroin or morphine17.
Others abuse the drug to achieve a euphoric high of oxycodone.
Oxycodone derives its chemical name from codeine. The chemical structures of both drugs are very similar:
- Oxycodone has a hydroxy group attached at carbon-14 and codeine has hydrogen at the same place
- Oxycodone has a feature of 7,8 dihydro and codeine possess a double bond between these two carbons
- Oxycodone, as in all ketones, has a carbonyl group while codeine has a hydroxyl group
The drug is also similar to hydrocodone, the only difference being a hydroxyl group at carbon-14.
In terms of biosynthesis, we can naturally find oxycodone in nectar extracts of an orchid family named as Epipactis Helleborine, along with one other opioid.
Oxycodone is a semi-synthetic opiate and a highly selective full agonist of the mu-opioid receptor (MOR). It is the main biological target of the endogenous opioid neuropeptide beta-endorphin. The drug has a low affinity for the delta-opioid receptor (DOR) and the k-opioid receptor (KOR).
After binding to MOR, oxycodone releases a G protein-complex that inhibits the release of neurotransmitters by the cell, decreasing the amount of cAMP generated, closing channels of calcium, and opening channels of potassium.
Oxycodone produces its analgesic effects by activating the MOR in the midbrain PAG (periaqueductal gray) and rostral ventromedial medulla (RVM).
Read all the information given below and the medication guide after you order oxycodone online.
- Take oxycodone only as directed by a doctor or a trained medical professional.
- Never increase or decrease your oxycodone dosages by yourself.
- Read the rules of REMS programs for opioid analgesics to prevent overdose, addiction, misuse, and abuse
- Oxycodone extended-release pills are only for patients who have been taking opioids
- Check whether or not you are opioid-tolerant before taking extended-release pills
- Swallow controlled or extended-release pills as a whole with enough water. Breaking, crushing, or chewing the tablets can be very dangerous as it causes an overdose
- Take the XR pills with food at the same time each day. If you have trouble swallowing the oxycodone capsule, open it and sprinkle its contents on pudding, yogurt, or applesauce and immediately take it. Do not keep this oxycodone mixture for later use.
Side Effects of Oxycodone :
Common adverse effects of oxycodone include:
- Dry mouth
- Loss of appetite
- Urinary retention
Unwanted severe reactions associated with oxycodone include:
- Reduced pain sensitivity
- Respiratory depression
- Dependence and addiction